Friday, July 8, 2011

The cost...

"Luke 14: 25-33 Now great crowds accompanied him, and he turned and said to them, 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. 27 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. 28 For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? 29 Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, 30 saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ 31 Or what king, going out to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and deliberate whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32 And if not, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace. 33 So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple. "


Wait did Jesus just say hate family? And hate yourself? Well, no but yes it should make someone pause for a second or ten...
According to my ESV Study bible, the word "hating", in this context, is semitic of loving less...
This brings us to the point of the passage:
        We must relinquish everything, a complete commitment, if we want to be a disciple...


I find this all interesting, hence the post, due to certain ideas people have:
the first being this, As Christians we need to hate ourselves and bash our self to be a true follower... this, from what I hear, is very Bob Jones, but go ahead and link to it for yourself...
The second is this, we are trained from day one in society to say, I have worth, I am important, I will succeed, I deserve, Love yourself, Me, me, me, mine, mine mine...


Honestly, both philosophies are wrong. It is true that most people don't have any trouble loving themselves at one time or another... and it's just as easy to hate oneself...


BUT, Jesus is saying look here people, if you aren't willing to put aside everything, willing to choose the electric chair (pick up your cross), then you aren't willing to be a disciple of him...
(see vs 33) So I guess the question for Christians become, are you willing? Are you acting on this? Does this scare you? 
Well I think I need to pray and ponder some more, Cause I don't have the answers... Let me know what you think! 

2 comments:

  1. What a middle ground we have to walk! I find that when I reflect on the personal blessings in my life, and also blessings at large in my world, I feel humbled. Not humbled in a negative demeaning way, but rather an awareness of how great God is and how dependent I am on His love!

    And in closing: I read the ESV too! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. The question you posed at the very end, being willing to be a true disciple, yes it scares me. But I know I've encountered specific situations in my life where I prayed for the strength to be willing and open to "my cross" and and that strength came. :-)

    ReplyDelete